A jinx, in popular superstition and folklore, is:
- A type of curse placed on a person that makes them prey to many minor misfortunes and other forms of bad luck;
- A person afflicted with a similar curse, who, while not directly subject to a series of misfortunes, seems to attract them to anyone in his vicinity.
- An object that brings bad luck.
- A common slang term used when two people say the same thing at the same time, said as a game among the young.
- The superstition can also be referenced when talking about a future event with too much confidence. A statement such as "We're sure to win the contest!" can be seen as a jinx because it tempts fate, thereby bringing bad luck. The event itself is referred to as "jinxed". The most dramatic historical example of this type of jinxing is the R.M.S. Titanic which was said to be unsinkable, then sunk on its maiden voyage.
- In a similar way, calling attention to good fortune – e.g. noting that a certain athlete is having a streak of particularly good fortune – is thought to "jinx" it. If the good fortune ends immediately afterward, the jinx is then blamed for the turn of events, if only jokingly.
I think our "jinx" is the 2nd and last one. I am wondering if someone placed the first one on me! I told everyone we were all better and on the mend. NO SUCH LUCK! Alex went into the doctor today which resulted in chest x-rays and a diagnoses of pneumonia. Not just any pneumonia mind you. When my little man gets sick, he does it full bat. He has both viral and bacterial pneumonia in both lungs. He's also dehydrated. He now has lots of medicines to help him get better. Justin is also sick. Thought he was feeling better but he's going to the doctor today too. So I am not going to say "we're on the mend", I'm just going to say "hope we get better soon."
I am a firm believer that prayers heal and that there is more power with more people praying. So if you wouldn't mind, please add us to your nightly prayer list. I will let you know when we are all better, well, maybe. Don't want to Jinx it again!